Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Velvet + Sovereign Paisley

Black velvet jacket (size 6):  Ralph Lauren, 2006
Long No. 2 pencil skirt in sovereign paisley (size 4): J.Crew, spring 2012
Boots:  Ann Taylor, old
What a busy week I am having!  I keep saying to myself that things will calm down "after."  After Christmas, after New Year's, after my business trip.  But here's the thing:  Life with three kids, a husband, and a full time job never calms down!  I just have to learn to enjoy the here and now more and not fret about the future and things beyond my control.  Easier said than done for a Type A like me.

I so rarely wear black that I actually feel a little strange when I do wear it.  But I've always loved this little velvet blazer, and it's such a classic shape it still works after all these years.  I " winterized" this lightweight skirt with the velvet jacket and tights and boots.  I thought it turned out just OK but I received a lot of compliments all day.  It always surprises me when I wear an outfit that I think is just so-so, and everyone else likes it, and then when I wear an outfit that I think is awesome, no one says anything. 

Hope you're having a good week!

9 comments:

  1. i think you look great in this outfit and black really works well with that skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's nice to "winter-ize" a ligher weight skirt!

      Delete
  2. I really like this outfit. Just wearing black makes the print stand out even more, and the print is beautiful. I'm feeling inspired now to wear this skirt--I think I've only worn it once so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see how you wear it this time! :)

      Delete
  3. Your posts really make me think it's time to acquire a few more patterned items! I've been reading along and really enjoy your outfit posts, especially as I tend to shop at generally the same retailers (and you also live in my hometown, so I always find that interesting!). Not on the topic of this post, but I was wondering -- the Lilly dresses you have for spring and summer are adorable and I am contemplating acquiring one -- how do you find that the sizing tends to run generally? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by! :) So nice! As far as Lilly goes, sizing is the biggest "complaint" about that label because it is all over the board. I recommend sizing down for any dresses labeled as "Shift" dresses, and if the sizes go S M L size up! I am either a 4 or 6 in Lilly, but typically a Medium in dresses labeled like that. But my biggest recommendation is go to a retailer that sells Lilly Pulitzer and try it all on...it is really hard to guess if you are not familiar with her sizing. That being said, Lilly is my favorite label for pretty dresses and cheerful prints...there is no comparison! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous outift. Always drooling over your amazing wardrobe !:)

    -Kristen

    ReplyDelete