Thursday, August 16, 2012

J.Crew fall fitting room reviews!

I decided to pop into J.Crew to try on some of the new fall items.  Who knew I'd fall in love with such a bizarre critter on a sweater?  Let's explore my reviews:

French Hen sweater in tan/acorn blue, $95 here
 Size small.
No. 2 pencil skirt in double serge wool, color berry pink.  Size 4. $130 here
The Little Red Hen is one of my boys' favorite Golden Books.  The litte blue hen/tan sweater is one of my favorite fall items!  My favorite SA told me these kitschy little sweaters are flying off the shelves.  I am very surprised how much I loved this.  I loved the camel tan color of the sweater, the weight of the wool, and the colors of the cute little critter.  It felt good on, but I don't get itchy from wool.  It is definitely on my wishlist, although I doubt it will make it to sale! 

Either J.Crew sizing is getting smaller or my butt is getting bigger, because this size 4 skirt, while fine looking in this picture, was booty-licious IRL.  I would most definitely size up to a 6.  I'm always between a 4 and 6 in J.Crew skirts, so I'll reserve panic for now.  This is my favorite fall color of the double-serge pencil skirts.  It's exactly what the description says, berry pink, and it is lovely!

Scoopneck silk top in zebra, $128 here
Size 4
Around $130, not online yet
This top was a nice material and a nice print.  The size 4 was TTS.  I am good on my animal prints, but if your wardobe is lacking in the animal print category, this may be a good addition.
Director Dress in Super 120s bistretch wool
Charcoal pinstripe
On sale online for 149.99 here
Size 4
I dress very colorfully 90% of the time, but I can certainly appreciate a classic, dark fitted dress that is timeless.  Some ladies dislike the low v-neck of this dress and I can definitely see their point.  It didn't look too scandalous on me though, and the size 4 fit like a glove.  I will definitely consider this at extra 30% off time!

Allie dress in festival blue
$178 here
Size 6
I'm not sure why this dress appears so much longer in the picture online than it does on me IRL, because I doubt the model is shorter than I am.  Online it looks about the length of the cotton-silk faille Lucille dress, which, while a bit on the short side, is fine on me for work.  This dress, on the other hand, is scandalously short for work.  I don't really love the length for evening either.  WOW this is short.  If you are over 5'5" this will be too short for you.  Also, the bodice runs really small.  While I have room in my size 6 Lucille dresses, this size 6 just fit.  So definitely go with your bigger J.Crew size.  This is a definite pass for me.  J.Crew, what's up with the mini length on this?

Jules dress in wool
$198 here
Color: Retro Jade, size 2
Holy indecent exposure!  That's what I am saying in this picture.  Ahhh, I crack myself up.  Seriously though, this is not a dress, it's a long top!  Definitely made to be worn with leggings, which I am not a fan of...so a definite pass for me.  It runs super big...this is a size 2.  I am a size 2 maybe 5% of the time.  But it looked really wide across the hips and waist, so I went for the 2, and sure enough, it fit.  But if I were to sit down in this dress, I'd definitely have a wardrobe malfunction.  The color and material are gorgeous though, so if you are really petite this dress may work for you!

Tweed pencil skirt
Not online yet, $158
Size 6
Tweed skirts can go wrong.  They can add bulk and width where you don't want it.  But this skirt didn't seem to do that.  I love the colors for fall, and the heavy material.   This 6 felt perfect, so I think again it may run slightly small.  One thing I'd be concerned about is the material pulling, as that's always a challenge with tweed.  But it's a nice fall/winter skirt for work!

Toothpick cord in brilliant coral
$98 here
Size 28
Hmmmm....I can't decide if I love these cords or if the shape seems mom-jeanish to me with its tapered leg.  What do you think?  The fit was TTS, as I am usuallly a 28 in jeans and cords.  Take note of the length:  These are regular length, but they were good on me.  I hate when they're so long they bunch around the ankles.  So if the regular length is good on my 34 inch inseams, they may be long for shorter girls.  I'd consider them at sale time, if I get past my mom-jeans fear.

I hope my reviews have been helpful to you! 

19 comments:

  1. Wow, you picked out some beautiful colors to try on! I love the hot pink pencil skirt and cords with the hen sweater. The zebra top looks good with the hot pink as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I LOVE the hen sweater! It looks great with pink for sure!

      Delete
  2. omg - that hen sweater is SO CUTE!! love all your reviews - i think the pink cords and the tweed skirt look fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many fun reviews Jeannie! Thanks so much for sharing all of them. I'm in the love camp with the hen sweater too, though I'm going for the navy. The pink pencil and tweed are really lovely as well. I'm set on pencil skirts though. :) I ordered the wool Jules to try out, as my store was sold out, and it was crazzzy short on me too! Hello, this is called a tunic JCrew, not a dress. I would dig it as a tunic, but the price is insane, and something about the pockets across the front bothered me. It will probably also wrinkle badly. Instead, I ordered a popback from Boden that's a turquoise velvet dress that can also be pulled off as a tunic...for $38. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The navy hen sweater is great! I totally agree about the pockets on the Jules...they seemed very awkward! The length is just crazy! Nice Boden score for you!

      Delete
  4. Teehee, your face in the Jules pic is priceless! The Jules is a disaster, period. The Allie dress also makes me mad. It looks like a child's dress on you, as it would on me at 5'9". I'm not even that tall!!! Lower the damn hemlines, J.Crew!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? I've had enough of the crazy mini lengths! It would have been such a great work dress if it was knee length!

      Delete
  5. Yeah, I'm going to need that french hen sweater. I prefer the color you tried on to the navy one! Cute!!

    Love your blog! Thanks for the reviews!

    Taylor

    ohwelltatslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Taylor! I agree, the hen sweater is on my fall wish list!

      Delete
  6. Fabulous reviews Jeannie! I can't believe how short the Jules is :O I really like the zebra fabric, it looks so lovely on you :)

    Tasia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tasia! I think I'd be arrested if I wore the Jules in public! The zebra top is nice!

      Delete
  7. Holy cow! That Director dress looks fantastic on you! I can't decide if that hen sweater is cute or too young for a "young 30s" person :-)

    Another Anthro Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks on the Director dress! I am so sad it is already out of stock in a size 4 online! I know... I said the same thing about the heart-me tippi, is it too young? And then of course I bought it when it went on sale...

      Delete
  8. I'm waiting for an additional % off sale to come along too - crossing my fingers for this weekend. There's a bunch of stuff in the sale section that I want right now.

    The hen sweater is cute, but holy cow, $95!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Lisa! I'd never pay that price, in fact I never, ever pay full price in J.Crew...or really anywhere! I agree, there are a lot of items in the sale section online I am waiting for, but I can't pull the trigger without an additional % off!

      Delete
  9. I love the hen sweater on you. Didn't think I would like it when I saw it online, but really love it on you. I also LOVE the tweed pencil skirt....you looked great in this and you for sure need to add it! Thanks for the review. I love them!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. They need to bring the hemlines down. Jeez louise. Thanks for sharing reviews. You look so great in bright colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi... I'm looking at the J.Crew Jules dress online and did a Google Image search to see if I could find some real-life pictures. Thanks so much for your awesome blog! It was super helpful.

    ReplyDelete